Thursday 6 November 2014

Front Grill

Last week I had a spare day to work on a mates Transporter as it needed some quick work to get it passed Rego. While waiting for putty to dry I decided to attack the front grill of our Kombi as its half missing metallic blue paint was really annoying me. This was my first time using paint stripper so was a pretty rad learning experience! Using the paint stripper made the job a lot easier especially in the curved slits. I just used a blade to get rid of each layer of paint then finished removing the underlying rust with a wire wheel. The original paint  that was hidden under 3 different layers was what my family calls 'Baby poo green' - the same colour of my brothers first VW Beetle that he bought for $800. 

After popping out a few dints and giving a final light sand, the grill was ready for some primer. I did 5 light layers then left it to set for two days before giving its final colour. The final coat is a burnt orange that I had laying around from a class project - a very close colour match.






No comments:

Post a Comment